Electronic commerce long ago established itself as an innovative and one-of-a-kind opportunity for forward-thinking marketers to boost their businesses, bringing them to a new, more advanced, and sophisticated level - selling through virtual dimension. E-commerce is a practice that has reshaped the traditional business culture and created a favorable environment for it to develop powered by the latest digital technologies.
Amazon, as the well-recognized frontier of the modern online retail industry, won’t stop breaking records in the sales made, greatly contributing to the advancement of the e-commerce industry and setting in motion today’s commercial world, which is gradually transitioning to the overpowering digital expanse.
Yes, the Amazon seller statistics calculated annually keep setting high standards for other retailers as well as aspiring entrepreneurs who want to be part of the groundbreaking Amazon “religion.” Boasting millions of active sellers worldwide, the platform has taken over the e-commerce industry and is now the outstanding leader of online sales.
How good is the performance of the "rain-forest inspired" retailer?
Today, Amazon comprises 1,761,784 sellers with 12 marketplaces worldwide: Germany, France, Canada, Japan, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, USA, UK, and China. The countries are represented by strong, competitive Amazon users who run active businesses on the platform, thereby contributing to the rapid development of the retailer. In total, Amazon offers 119,928,851 products to its devoted buyers - pretty impressive statistics even for the world’s leading online platform, isn’t it? But there’s something about Amazon that can amaze you even more! Let’s delve deeper into Amazon marketplace statistics to find a lot more mind-boggling facts about this discovery of the modern e-commerce culture!
Amazon marketplace statistics
- Today, Amazon sales have reached $118.57 billion -- a 25,2% rise compared to the sales made in 2016;
- How many Amazon sellers are there? Now, Amazon has over 5 billion sellers;
- The area where the number of Amazon sellers keeps growing is China, Hong Kong;
- The percentage of Chinese marketers on Amazon is 25%;
- Among 10,000 Amazon sellers, 66% utilize FBA;
- The Amazon lending system reached $3 billion provided to small businesses ever since the launch of the program in 2011;
- Amazon boasts over 100 million Prime members who spent more than $126 billion annually.
Amazon seller statistics and Amazon third-party seller statistics
- From February 2018 to January 2019, the number of visitors on Amazon reached 2,63 billion;
- Amazon has more than 300 million active users;
- Approximately 80% of Amazon buyers are homeowners;
- Women make up about 51,1 of Amazon buyers, where about 45,9% are married women;
- The largest category of Amazon users is formed by millennials;
- Amazon became an attractive spot for party sellers, who started their businesses on the platform in 2017. The estimated number of sellers reached 300,000;
- 140,000 Amazon third-party sellers make more than $100,000 annually;
- The Amazon Handmade category offers clients more than 1 million products in the US as well as 60 more countries;
- In 2019, Amazon third-party sellers sold about 54% of their products.
Amazon product statistics
- The catalog of Amazon offers more than 12 million media, products, and numerous services;
- Jewelry, clothing, and shoes form the revenue of 33,4% on Amazon;
- About 11,1 million of products for home were sold in 2018;
- Every year, Amazon sells 64 million products from the category home&kitchen;
- According to online monitoring services, 89% of buyers will rather buy goods from Amazon than from any other online retailer.
Amazon FBA statistics
- Based on the information from Tech Crunch, Amazon accounts for 49% of the US e-commerce market;
- An average Amazon customer spends $700 annually and Prime Members spend about $1300 each year;
- Amazon uses the FIFO system (First In, First Out) to find out what changes your warehouse stock has gone through;
- Amazon operates in more than 13 countries worldwide.
Drawing the line
Amazon marketplace statistics has set high standards for other online retailers to measure up to. The platform has always followed the goal to revolutionize the commercial philosophy of the modern world, creating perfect conditions for forward-thinking entrepreneurs to bring their businesses on to the digital “canvas” and fuel the development of electronic commerce - one of the biggest achievements of today’s merchandising world. Amazon seller statistics, for example, mirrors the unlimited loyalty that the platform has from online marketers. The highlights from the Amazon product statistics we have provided show how multifaceted the service’s product spectrum is and how huge the number of sales is, too. The numbers speak for themselves, don’t they?
The platform keeps making progress in enriching the e-commerce industry, thus giving up-to-date marketers an unrestrained medium for realizing their entrepreneurial longings and objectives. This is how the perfect model of digitalized commerce should work.