Imagine the kind of frustration you would feel: you own a first-generation cellphone model and its battery is damaged. You can’t buy the same type of phone battery since the manufacturer had phased out the said model.This is when online shopping enters the picture. It makes acquiring such items possible by connecting the buyer to the world of previously inaccessible resources.
The best avenues to look for these kinds of items is usually through the manufacturer or other platforms. But oftentimes, manufacturers don’t want to deal with consumers directly, or this would rob them of the revenue.
This becomes an opening for resourceful Amazon sellers to dig into Manufacturer Part Number (MPN) and include this code to their listings. However, not all sellers have acknowledged the importance of MPN which makes it difficult for shoppers to find what they need. Thus, they may lose the potential of earning.
First Things First
Unique product identifiers define products uniquely. They help in distinguishing them so that it would match search queries. They are assigned by a product’s manufacturer to match the UPIs with that of the reseller.
The most common unique product identifiers are Manufacturer Part Number (MPN), Stock Keeping Unit (SKU), and Universal Product Code (UPC). The following are the uses, attributes, and differences in the aforementioned product identifiers.
Manufacturer Part Numbers (MPNs) are alphanumeric digits in various lengths which uniquely identify the product to its manufacturer. They are required for products with no GTIN assigned by the manufacturers. Buyers use the MPN to confirm if the product that they are purchasing is the product they are looking for.
Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) is a unique number assigned to billable items to identify the price, options, and manufacturer of the merchandise. Through this number and letter combination, companies would be able to track, quantify, and manage the inventory effectively with the aid of a computerized system instead of the manual system.
The SKU numbers are assigned by companies to physical items or even the intangible elements like warranties. Whenever an SKU number is assigned, the number reflects the minutest possible unit a store will stock. They are usually printed in a barcode format on product labels so that they can be read through a barcode scanner. This would make internal inventory tracking and managing easy.
- The Universal Product Code (UPC), also known as the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN)-12 and UPC-A, is a 12- digit unique numerical identifier stamped on commercial products and linked to a barcode. It is used primarily in North America, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and many other countries around the globe. The UPC is usually located below a barcode on the item package or at the back of the book cover. It includes digits on the left and right ends of the lines.
Take note that if your product has a GTIN assigned to it, it should help improve your product’s promotion and discoverability. However, if you have products that are not GTIN-applicable, then just submit the MPN and brand name of the product.
Examples of non-GTIN items are store brand products, replacement parts, OEM or original equipment manufacturer parts or replacement parts for OEM, custom-made products, books released before ISBN was approved, vintage or antique items, and preordered products since they use the condition attribute.
What is MPN Number and Its Significance?
The Manufacturer Part Number is a unique product identifier assigned by the manufacturer to differentiate it from related parts and possible counterfeits. It is particularly relevant to the seller of spare parts or electronics. It helps both manufacturers and sellers in identifying and managing stock levels which brings ease for buyers since they know it’s the right part they are getting.
MPN manufacturer number is optional in the inventory listing file and does not apply to all merchandises on Amazon. It is only relevant in some cases. If you have the GTIN already in your product feed, then MPN is not mandatory.
Otherwise, you must include an MPN together with the product’s brand name to narrow down your search. They are also used in Amazon’s internal and external queries. Thus, you must coordinate MPN with Amazon to improve your listing relevance.
However, it is still a pot of gold for numerous reasons. Thus, you might want to look at what is the part number of the product you intend to sell now or you might lose the chance of a monetary conversion.
The Benefits of Using MPN
- Easily discovered. MPN is a docketed field in both Amazon and Google Merchant Center. Including this code in your product listing shall allow their respective part number search engines to capture and match these codes and display them on the results page. Your product will appear immediately without the encumbrances of ambiguity. Also, you can submit the brand name to narrow down the searches.
- Income conversion. Replacement parts, aftermarket parts for vehicles, or a highly specific model of computer equipment are not optional items nor do they have searchable variants. These kinds of items are specific and hard to find. Therefore, when you dig down the specificity of manufacturer part number and it matches what the user is looking for, a torrent of sales will likely fall upon your wallet.
- Little to no returns. Selling the right and exact products to customers won’t lead to unwarranted returns. This saves you time, money, and effort. At the same time, it can escalate your rankings and ratings as a seller.
- Good reviews and repeat buyers. Product reviews are one of the key factors that drive a product’s discoverability, and all the more the product’s purchasability. Consumers leverage a huge pile of positive customer reviews. With high item compatibility, a good review awaits your doorstep. Shoppers are extremely grateful for those sellers who can meet their specific demands and needs. Satisfied customers will always come back to your store.
Where and How to Find MPN Number?
You have probably crossed paths with MPN countless times: purchasing products, browsing through a particular manufacturer’s list and database on online comparison shopping platforms, and markets. However, there are ways you can follow to find the MPN. They’re as follows:
- Look on the product – most of the time, MPN is listed on either the side or bottom of the product or its packaging. The number is probably listed next to the brand name: Part Number MPN.
- Communicate with the product part manufacturer – call and ask for the MPN Product Part Number directly from the manufacturer for the item you need.
How to Include UPIs in a Product Data
The type of identifiers you submit depends on the types of products you’ll submit. It is highly recommended that the GTIN, brand, and MPN are submitted. After all, the three attributes can help boost advertisement performance as well as help users in finding the product.
If you have a merchandise that has product details and is MPN Amazon-applicable, it’s a plus. However, you can still go beyond. Here are the guidelines that will help you get the most out of it inputting MPN on the optional field:
- Double-check if you are enlisting the correct MPN number Amazon. Confusion might jeopardize the benefits that you would get from using it. Make sure you are using the correct part number for each product since each product variant has its unique MPN. The key exception is apparel products of different sizes that have identical MPNs.
- Include the MPN not just on the Manufacturer Part Number Amazon field but also in the product title and its corresponding bullet points. Copy the code religiously, including punctuations if there is any. It won’t cause any ruckus in the manufacturer part number search engines.
- Take a photo of the stamped MPN of the product and include it in your product gallery. This would assure buyers that they are getting the right product or spare part.
- If the spare part you are selling is compatible with many products, enlist those other products as well. This would allow you to pick up traffic from onlookers who do not know that you have what they are looking for.
Remember that it is best to include unique product identifiers in submitting products. Doing otherwise might lead to product invalidation and rejection.
The greatest challenge as a seller is identifying the areas of your product catalog where your energy and efforts should be focused. There is a constant need to improve the current data of your product and to invest in resources that would improve the integrity of your product content. Product optimization should be the primary goal by enhancing the interplay between discoverability and purchasability.
Also, make sure that your product pages are easily understood and pleasing for both customers and search engines. This would increase your opportunities for getting your products on the frontline for potential customers to see.
This is the central idea of why sellers should give importance to know what is an MPN number on Amazon. Including the MPN manufacturer part number or model number enables online platforms such as Facebook or Instagram to display ads for products related to the user’s search.
It ensures accuracy in product listings and product information such as technical specifics. Furthermore, it makes the product comparatives more accurate while eliminating guesswork at the same time.
Take your brand and sales on Amazon to the next level with automated Buyer-Seller messaging!
Amazon & eCommerce Hacks
✓ PPC Strategy ✓ FBA Business ✓ Amazon SEO ✓ Increasing Sales ✓ Amazon Repricer