Table of Contents
- 1 Requirements for Amazon Seller Brand Registry 2.0.
- 2 What are the Amazon Brand Registry Benefits?
- 3 What is the Amazon Brand Registry Cost?
- 4 How Is a Trademark Obtained for Brand Registry?
- 5 How to Register Your Brand with Amazon’s Brand Registry
- 6 Conclusion
What is Amazon Brand Registry? Registering a brand with Amazon’s Brand Registry program is beneficial for every Amazon seller. You should think about registering if you are an FBA seller, FBM seller, large company, or small private label business.
Can I sell on Amazon without Brand Registry? Yes, but participating in Amazon Brand Registry is a great way to prove that the products you’re selling are yours. Your product will be linked to your specific account after Amazon processes and approves your application. This will make your brand more secure on Amazon.
The Brand Registry program is completely free. Amazon has made some drastic improvements to the program with the May 2017 update. Here are several reasons why you should enroll in the program:
- Amazon Brand Registry helps you protect your registered trademarks. This creates an accurate and pleasant experience for customers.
- Enrolling in Amazon Brand Registry will provide access to useful tools. Some of these tools include proprietary text and image search as well as predictive automation. Predictive automation is based on your reports of suspected intellectual property rights violations. This gives you more control and increased authority over product listings with your brand name.
In short, if a company tries to infringe or counterfeit your brand, the Brand Registry Amazon program will make it easier to find and report them.
Requirements for Amazon Seller Brand Registry 2.0.
One of the key changes in the Amazon Brand Registry Program is that you need to have a trademark. Sellers must have a trademark before taking part in the program and its benefits. The first step is filling out a trademark application if you have not already acquired your trademark. Then you will have to wait until your trademark is processed before you can join the program.
The following is a list of information you will need to enroll a brand in the Amazon Brand Registry program:
- Brand name that has a live registered trademark.
- Government Registered Principal Trademark Registration or Serial Number. For USPTO marks, the Mark Drawing Type must be equal to one of the following and the text must match the brand name:
- “1 – TYPESET WORD(S)/LETTER(S)/NUMBER(S)”
- “3 – AN ILLUSTRATION DRAWING WHICH INCLUDES WORD(S), LETTER(S)/NUMBER(S)”
- “4 – STANDARD CHARACTER MARK”
- “5 – WORDS, LETTERS, OR NUMBERS IN A STYLIZED FORM”
- Images of the brand’s logo.
- Images of products and packaging that carry the trademarked brand name. If the product is not branded, the packaging must be branded.
- A list of product categories (e.g., apparel, sporting goods, electronics) in which the brand should be listed.
- A list of countries where the brand’s products are manufactured and distributed.
What are the Amazon Brand Registry Benefits?
According to the Amazon platform, more than 130 thousand companies across the globe use the Amazon brand registration system. In general, they are reporting 99% fewer infringements than before the implementation of the Amazon Brand Registry.
The benefits of Amazon Brand Registry include a variety of advantages according to the platform’s website. The most important ones are those listed below:
1. More accurate representation of your brand
Amazon Brand Registry provides you with better control over platform product pages that include your brand name, so more clients can see the proper information about your brand.
2. Great search and reporting tools
The Amazon marketplaces make the process of spotting cases of infringement simpler with the help of custom tools developed specifically for all brands:
- Global search: look for the necessary content in various Amazon stores on the same phone screen without any need to navigate away
- Image search: search Amazon product listings that correspond with your item(s) or logo(s) with the help of images
- ASIN search in bulk: find a list of item URLs or ASINs in bulk to find and report possibly infringing content promptly (and increase image thumbnails with this feature to identify infringers easier)
- Sort list view of average client ratings of items to boost the popularity
Once you finish your search, Amazon Brand Registry gives you a guided and simple workflow to send a report of any possible infringement that the Amazon platform can check and take the necessary actions on.
3. Extra proactive protection for your brand
What is more, apart from the standard proactive tools that Amazon uses to protect its clients, the Brand Registry uses the information that sellers provide about their brand to introduce additional proactive protections that help spot and delete potentially harmful product listings.
The more data about your company and intellectual property you provide for the Brand Registry support members, the better Amazon can assist you in protecting your brand. For instance:
- Item listings that are not for your company and improperly use your terms with trademarks in their product descriptions or titles and detail pages.
- Pictures that include your logo, however, show items without the name of your Amazon storefront.
- Sellers that deliver goods from countries where you do not produce or distribute the branded products.
- Product listings that are created with your brand name but when you have released the full catalog with products on Amazon
4. Benefits for building your brand
Develop and boost your Amazon business by leveraging such features as Stores, Enhanced Brand Content, Brand Dashboard, and Sponsored Brands.
What is the Amazon Brand Registry Cost?
Nowadays, there are no additional costs for Amazon Brand Registry. However, at the same time, you will need to register your trademark to meet the requirements for application on the Brand Registry on Amazon.
Usually, fees to register a trademark vary from $225 to $400. Besides, these costs can range based on the category of protection you wish to purchase.
How Is a Trademark Obtained for Brand Registry?
Getting a trademark for a brand registry may seem like a daunting task, but there are several options for acquiring your trademark.
You can get your trademark from the official government service – USPTO. But, if you are not familiar with legal terms and procedures, you may want to hire a local lawyer or use online services. Trademarkia and LegalZoom are two online services for people applying for trademarks.
If you are interested in taking part in the new Amazon Brand Registration program, you should file your trademark application as soon as possible. The entire application and approval process may take between six months to a year to be completed. The time that elapses before trademark approval depends on the pending registrations in the USPTO system. The USPTO system can be viewed here.
If you have not applied for a trademark, then you should stop reading this article for a moment and sign up for SageMailer. While you’re waiting for your trademark to be processed, you can work on other aspects of your business. SageMailer will be helpful in drastically improving your seller’s rating.
How to Register Your Brand with Amazon’s Brand Registry
The Amazon brand registry provides an effective way to prove that you are the owner of the product you are selling. After Amazon has approved your application for brand registration, the products you are selling will be linked to your account. The listings you make will then have more security from hackers. This added protection is a great benefit to sellers who want to lower the risk of hijackers and counterfeit products. Without this protection, hijackers and counterfeit products could destroy your reputation.
It is important to note that brand registration is meant only for manufacturers, brand owners, and distributors who have written authority from the brand owner to sell a specific item on Amazon. Traders who do not belong to one of these three categories will not be allowed to register a brand.
Moreover, Amazon prohibits the registration of two specific categories:
- DVDs, Videos, Music, and Books
- Products that fall into the categories of sports collectible and entertainment
Amazon will not register your brand if you attempt to register products that fall into the above categories.
But, if your product meets Amazon’s requirements, you should register it as soon as you can. To assist you in starting the registration process and navigating it smoothly, below is a checklist of all the things you’re required to complete the Amazon brand registration process.
A brief outline of all the things required to register a brand with Amazon:
A Functional Website
A working website is required for registering a brand. Having a working website enables your products to be linked to the site. Having a functional website means that the site should be live online and hosted. Even so, you do not need a fancy site. For instance, if you cannot hire a developer, you can have a simple site that displays your brand name and the images of the product(s). Keep in mind, though, that submitting a brand to Amazon is not the same as advertising it to potential customers (to market and sell your products directly to Amazon customers, check out Amazon Seller Central).
A Custom Email Address
Amazon prefers dealing with websites that display custom email addresses. For instance, if your website’s URL is www.bestcompanyname.com, the email address displayed on your site could be [email protected].
Creating a custom email address is easy and inexpensive (some sites charge as little as $1.99 a month). One of the best known and trusted providers of custom email addresses is Google’s Gmail. Another popular choice is GoDaddy. Both of these providers make creating a custom email simple and straightforward.
Packaging Images and Products
To register a brand with Amazon, you will need pictures of the brand and products. Amazon requires traders to have pictures showing their product packaging and a clear brand name. If you do not already have clear pictures of your products for the brand registry, hiring a professional may be a good option for you.
Amazon will also ask you for an extra photo showing the products you are selling together with a clear image of the brand. For example, if you are selling tracking suits, you will need a high-resolution picture of the package showing your brand. Then they will need another picture showing the suit outside the package with a clear image of your brand. The only traders that are exempted from this requirement are those who deal with products in the Health, Beauty, and Grocery categories. For example, branding cucumbers outside of their packaging is unnecessary. Amazon will accept additional images of the product packaging.
A Customized Brand Identify/Key Attribute
The sellers on Amazon are required to provide a unique identifier or a key attribute of the product they are selling. In most cases, sellers use a UPC code to identify their products. Amazon also provides several other methods that can be used to identify the branded products on Amazon. These methods include:
- Manufacturer Part Number
- Model Number
- Catalog Number
- Style Number
Whether you decide to use an EAN, JAN, serial number or another method of identification, you should opt for an identifier that is stable. This means that it will not change in the future. This does not mean that Amazon does not allow you to change your unique identifier, but if you must do so, the process is tedious. Using a timeless identification method from the start will save you plenty of frustration later on.
Amazon provides a list of all product categories and the acceptable methods of identifying them to assist you in making a decision. You should refer to the appropriate table to make sure that you choose an acceptable key attribute.
A Completed Application
To complete an application, go to the Amazon brand registry page. There you will be prompted to enter information in the required fields.
Make sure that the brand name is keyed in exactly as it is written on the product label excluding the product title. For example, if you are selling on Amazon a product by the name of “Backstreet Cats DeShedding Tool”, you should key in the brand name as “Backstreet Cats.”
The next step is to upload the pictures of your products and packaging (or a second packaging image for traders dealing with Beauty, Groceries and Health products).
Next, you need to add specific information related to your brand.
Pick the relevant category that you would like your product to be registered under.
Choose the unique identifier or key attribute that you would like to use to identify the product.
Click Submit after you have completed the brand registry application. This marks the beginning of the approval process. You should receive a response within 2 weeks. Contact the support desk for clarification if there is no response within 3 weeks.
Amazon brand registration is a good way to assist your company. Amazon brand registry will allow your company to grow into a force to be reckoned with. Protect your brand by registering it as soon as possible. Failing to register your products puts you at risk of being taken over by hijackers. Protecting your brand through registration is the way to go if you are going to sell products on Amazon. Sellers with registered brands can be invited to the Vendor Central program as well.
P.S. If you have completed the brand registration process, you can take the next 2 minutes to register for a free SageMailer trial account. This free trial will help you get numerous Amazon reviews and feedback, which is vital to getting more sales on Amazon.